Thursday, October 23, 2008

Blog 9

Before reading the articles, I wasn't familiar with wikipedia. However, after reading the articles I do not think they're reliable. Wikepedia was actually developed in order to provide people with information on pretty much anything. The problem is that anyone can edit or even delete information. If a person is bias towards a particular topic they can can present their opinions as if they were fact. Some major companies, such as Wal-Mart, can manipulate information to appear appealing.
It is very important for children to understand the validity of information that they found on the Internet. I often stress to my students to be cautious of giving out their information on-line. They need to be aware that just because they say that they're a 15 yr. old boy, doesn't mean they are. They could actually be a 40 yr. old man, preying on a young child. So, do I think wikipedia is reliable? Absolutely not.

No comments: