Monday, September 8, 2008

Week 2

I found the website http://alex.state.al.us to be very informative. There are many resources that would be beneficial to teachers. The information I found to be the most beneficial were the "Alabama Course of Study," the lesson plans, and the professional learning site.

My first year teaching, I learned the most important thing is the "Alabama Course of Study." I was given an "Alabama Course of Study" book that was a little bit overwhelming. There was too much information coming at you at one time. However, this site provides the same information, in a much more simpler way. It gives you the option of choosing a subject, as well as, a grade level. I like this a whole lot better than reading through the book. I would much rather read the information online, rather than "looking for" a book.

I also found the lesson plans to be very helpful. My first year, I had a very hard time devising a lesson plan. I had absolutely no idea of how to organize a lesson plan. I would often spend an entire week working on the following week's lesson plan. Whereas, veteran teachers where devising lesson plans overnight. This site contains lesson plan on everything from Physical Education to Science. You simply find a subject and topic of your choice. I will definitely be using this site to help me create my lesson plan.

Another useful tool was the site designated for professional opportunities. This site provides all the information you need to know about the AMSTI program, a math and science initiative program. It even provides a list of school that participates in the AMSTI program. The professional development provides teachers with all the critical information need to become successful teachers. I think having a site where there are numerous of grants in one location is very time consuming. It avoids spending time hunting for grants.

I would highly recommend this site to every teacher. It provides everything you need to know in one convient place. It saves time on locating information. Its also very east to comprehend!

No comments: